Sunday, September 19, 2010

A New Week

Last week ended on a disappointing note for me but I've had a really wonderful weekend and I'm ready to start anew.  I took two paintings in to the State Fair competition.  I know there isn't a lot of payoff in that but I really need to get more comfortable with competing.  My husband purchased a daily sketchbook for me at the art museum.  I'm already enjoying it.  I had forgotten the pure pleasure in the quick imperfect sketch.  Not that perfection is ever something I have to worry about, it is definitely freeing to not worry about what someone else is going to think of it.

Today I'm pulling out one of the older drawings.  I look back at some of them and wonder how I had the nerve to keep going.  But then I look at others and say, yeah, that's why I kept going.

I tried and tried to get this lion to wake up so I could get an upright photo of him.  He insisted on his cat nap and so that's how I painted him.

11 comments:

  1. Nice work with the mane!~ Nice drawing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the unusual perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "smiling while asleep" face. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love his face! The texture and tones are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool perspective. Doing this way is so much more interesting. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarika, he is pastel. I just looked at your profile, I didn't realize we were so close! In the same state even! What a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice painting. Great detail!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete