Thursday, September 16, 2010

A little Whine with that Cheese?

Now I'm going to whine about what I'm cheesed off about.  It's hard sometimes to take critique, especially when you've worked so hard on something.  It's easier to take it when you feel that there is no malice and that it is well intended.  Like the critique I got here on the worker piece.  I got good advice and I took it.  Then I took the piece to class for critique and grade.

Everyone of my classmates made really good comments about it and then the teacher asked... Does anyone see anything wrong with it?  Fair question, right?  Long silence, no one wanted to say anything.  Again fair enough, be kind.  When the silence continued, the teacher said, "Come on, out with it, Kate really wants to hear what else you have to say."  Now I'm starting to think that's not so nice.  But still no one said anything.  Finally, she turned to me and said, "I know I told you not to do too much detail in the face but you really should have taken some close up shots and done more detail in the face."

Am I wrong in feeling a little sting with that?  Anyway, that's my cheese and my whine.  Again, thank you to everyone who critiqued on here and gave me really wonderful advice that helped me produce a piece that wow'd everyone except my teacher.  I have no intention of letting a little snarkiness get in the way of my goals.

4 comments:

  1. Kate,
    I studied architecture and had to deal with critiques for four years. I really don't think this should have stung. I think learning to listen to what people are trying to say, not always 'how' they say it, is very important to our growth as artists and designers. It gets far worse in the real world where people don't always care to phrase it nicely. Build up a protective shell, listen to what people have to offer, and then agree or disagree. It is still your right as the artist to not follow the advice, just know why you didn't. You will learn so much more this way! My professors always made sure that you walked away with some sort of criticism to think about, believing that if they told you everything you did was great, you would never improve! Just my two cents! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. She gave me advice on how to treat the face in the first place and then nailed me for taking it. When I asked how I could fix the face specifically to improve my grade she said no, it's fine. There were other things I could do to bring it up to an A which I did.

    When a teacher gives you advice, then they should stand by it when you take that advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was always like that in architecture, so I do understand! You were always nailed if you took the teacher's advice instead of taking the risk with your own ideas. I think one of their goals was to emphasize that it is still up to you to take the advice or leave it. Sort of building your own style along the way? I'm not saying it is always the best way to approach teaching art; it is just how it was when I was in architecture. I've heard many people say that art school did them more harm than good because of the lack of confidence they got from all the horrible things professors would say. Not all professors have this same attitude, but now knowing that she is like that, you know that you have to weigh her advice and decide for yourself whether it is good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're absolutely right! I have learned a valuable lesson to trust my own insight. One of the reasons for going to school was to push my art farther than I can take it alone. But none of my reasons was to give up my own ideas.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete